2/24/14

Day 13: 30 Days of Gluten Free

It's funny how when this 30 day journey started out I felt it was pretty easy. We cook many of our meals from scratch so avoiding gluten really hasn't been too hard. At the almost halfway point I'm starting to feel like I would shank someone for a nice warm piece of whole wheat, grainy, seeded, chewy bread. I couldn't care less about flour tortillas or cookies, cake, or even pizza. I want bread. 
Whenever we go on "diets" we usually have some wiggle room. When we were Vegan we allowed ourselves 5% of our diet to come from animal products. It made it easy to know if we really wanted something we could have it from time to time. I was totally dairy free when the baby was first born because I thought he may have a dairy intolerance and had been dairy free for years when I was trying to get a handle on my dairy intolerance (which has been so much better since getting pregnant). However there are lots of great dairy substitutions out there, not so much with bread. 
I love the art of bread making, the smell of fresh baked bread and gluten free substitutes just don't cut it. They are more like white bread, which I despise. So I am going to make it my mission to find a better gluten free bread for our Celiac customers. I'm sorry that most gluten free sandwich breads suck. I'll try harder to stock something more palatable. Meanwhile I'm counting my lucky stars I'm not gluten intolerant and counting down the days until my love affair with bread can continue. 

Breakfast: Protein Shake with Mango
Lunch: Chicken Caesar Salad with a touch of dressing
Snacks: Skout Blueberry Almond Bar
Raw Cheddar Cheese
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake 
Dinner: Brown Rice Fettucini with Cadia Organic Red Wine Pasta Sauce Sautéed Red Bell Peppers, Yellow Squash and Zuchini with Garlic Roasted Cauliflower 
We roasted romanesco cauliflower with a squirt of Butter It Up spray and garlic powder to stand in for garlic toast. The buttery garlic crunch really did satisfy that garlic bread craving!

No comments:

Post a Comment