9/7/14

Harvest Time Apple Butter Bars

Fall is my favorite time of year. The rich smell of baked apples, pumpkin, cinnamon and cloves permeates the air. Every few years our apple trees go crazy and I'm trying to find new ways to use them. In 2011 I made cases of apple butter, apple sauce, apple juice and over 5 gallons of hard cider along with countless pies, granolas and bags of dried apples. I realized I still have a case of apple butter in the back of our pantry so I better use it up before the madness begins again. If you have never had spiced apple butter, I'm sorry and I will post my super easy crockpot apple butter recipe shortly!  If you don't happen to have any spiced apple butter you can certainly make this with applesauce using the changes I noted in the recipe. I'm making these as an easy breakfast for a picky toddler, so I didn't want something loaded with sugar but you could up the sweetness to your tastes.

2 C. Old Fashioned Oats
1 C. Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 C. Spiced Apple Butter
     Or 1 C Apple Sauce and increase spices to 2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp cloves. Add 2 Tbs Honey
1/2 tsp Cinnamon 
1/8 tsp Cloves
2 TBS Oil
1 Egg
1 C. Milk (I use almond)
1 C. Raisins

Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8 pan, set aside. In a large bowl combine oats, flour and baking powder. Add apple butter, spices, oil, egg and milk. Stir until just combined.
Stir in raisins.


Spread mixture into prepared 8x8 pan.

Bake 30-35 minutes

2 comments:

  1. I love Fall too Christine. Leaves are beginning to fall, a hint of cool in the air and shortening days. Sadly the frost last Spring hit just as my trees were in bloom so no apples for sauce this year; but...I know where to get good organic offerings...VITA MART. Can't wait to make this. With very busy days and trips back and forth to the Valley, this will make a great pick up. However I'll substitute a gluten free flour.

    ReplyDelete