6/2/14

Moist Chocolate Cake

I'm not above going for the sweet stuff when I'm really stressed out and recently I had to call in the big guns... Chocolate Cake. So after much inner conflict (if I bake this I will probably eat the whole thing, yada, yada, yada) I assembled my ingredients and realized I was out of sugar! But all was not lost, thank goodness I had some agave nectar! Forty-five minutes later I had the endorphin shot I needed. Sure I could have exercised, but sometimes a girl just needs chocolate cake.


1 1/3 C Agave Nectar
2 Eggs
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 C Whole Milk
1/2 C Melted Butter
1 3/4 C Flour
1 C Cocoa Powder
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
2/3 C Hot Coffee  

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 13x9 pan with cooking spray (this is a chocolate emergency, there is no time for fancy round layers!). In a large bowl mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder, set aside. In another large bowl beat together egg, melted butter, agave nectar and vanilla. Mix milk into wet ingredients until thouroghly incorporated. Stir dry ingredient into wet until just incorporated then add hot coffee and mix until no lumps remain.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. This cake baked pretty quickly, great for a chocolate emergency! I did throw together a quick frosting of cream cheese, cocoa powder, powdered sugar and vanilla. 

Frosting:
8 oz Cream Cheese
1/2 C Cocoa Powder*
1C Powdered Sugar*
1 tsp vanilla
*ingredients are approximate 
In a large bowl beat together all ingredients with a mixer. I like frosting to not be so sickly sweet so I add a lot of cocoa powder to thicken it but you could reduce the amount of cocoa powder and add more sugar. This is just a simple eating frosting, not something you would decorate with.


No comments:

Post a Comment