1/1/14

Why Healthy Gourmet on the GO!

I'm sick of seeing the same blurb about why I'm doing this blog every time I post on Facebook, so I'm taking it down and posting it here.

Healthy Gourmet on the go has been created to share our passion for great tasting healthy food that doesn't take hours to prepare. It is our mission to show the world that healthy food can be quick, easy and most importantly delicious. BJ & I run our store, take care of our baby boy and still find time to cook healthy meals every night...and if we can do it, so can you. This is really only part of the story, the part I could fit into 200 characters.

 Three years ago I thought it would be fun to start a blog and post my recipes. I was always telling friends or customers about what we had for dinner and they would ask me for the recipe. So I thought what a great idea it would be to start a blog. I came up with a name, posted a recipe and forgot about it for three years! I was always too busy to take pictures of our meal or too busy to post the recipes. I was typing the recipes up anyway, a habit I got into after driving BJ crazy with a million little slips of paper lying around the house with ingredients and amounts written down without instructions or titles. "What do you think this was" I'd ask.
So for some strange reason  I decided that now that we had a baby, and even less time, I would once again try to blog. 

That's pretty much why now, but not why I wanted to do this initially. I love to cook. It's relaxing for me and I love taking something ordinary and turning it into something great. I have been know to make pizza from scratch, and by scratch I mean make the dough out of flour, water, yeast and oil. Make fresh mozzarella cheese (from real milk) and sauce from tomatoes in our garden just for fun. I own over 150 cookbooks I like to draw inspiration from. I live for food. So that's where the gourmet comes in. Healthy is a different story.

People may see some of my recipes and say, that's not healthy! It's not paleo, low fat, sugar free, low carb or Dr. OZ approved. My take on Healthy is eating real food. I try to make our meals from in season, local if possible, fresh, honest food that is minimally processed. Are cookies "healthy" not if you eat them everyday, but mine will be healthier than buying something off the shelf that's full of artificial ingredients and preservatives.

And we are on the Go constantly! We run our store, hold free cooking classes, volunteer and now have a BABY! We don't sleep, literally! So when someone tells me they don't have time to eat healthy I know that its not a matter of time, it's just not a priority for them, but it is for us. We haven;t been through a drive through in over 5 years because eating healthy keeps us going.

So here it is, what we eat and our version of healthy. Recipes and I will be sprinkling in some of my  "wisdom" in as well. If you have questions along the way please ask, it's the only way we both can learn.
Thanks for reading
&
Happy Eating!
Christine


No comments:

Post a Comment