10/29/13

Pumpkin Crumble Bars





This recipe falls under” the healthier because I made it” category. This time of year I am on a quest for all things pumpkin and am tempted by the pumpkin-flavored-everything commercials. I like knowing that if I am going to indulge that I am eating quality ingredients. I also love the way my house smells when I bake, its better than any $10 candle (and tastier too). These bars have a soft pumpkin pie filling surrounded by a crunchy, crumbly crust.

Pumpkin Crumble Bars

For the Crust & Crumble
3 C. Rolled Oats
1 3/4 C Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1 1/2 C Rapadura Sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 C plus 2 Tbs Unsalted Butter- Softened
1 C. Chopped Pecans or Walnuts- optional
(after I made these BJ told me, "You know what would make these even better? Nuts.")

For Filling
15 oz of Pumpkin Puree
3 eggs
3/4 C Heavy Cream
1/2 C Rapadura Sugar
1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
(or 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp nutmeg and 1/8 tsp cloves)
1 tsp vanilla


Preheat oven to 375. Line a 13x9 pan with parchment paper, set aside. In a large bowl mix together crust ingredients with your hands (if you have a little one have them help you with this) until it resembles pebbles.


Pull out 2 cups of Crumble mixture, set aside. Press remaining Crumble Mixture into bottom of pan, bake for 10 minutes.

(He thinks he’s helping!)

While that’s baking, in a large bowl mix together pumpkin, eggs, cream, sugar, spices and vanilla. Pour over baked crust. Return to oven for 15 minutes.

When pumpkin layer is somewhat set,

sprinkle remaining crumble over top. Return to oven and bake 20 additional minutes.


You can either cool and cut into bars or hover over it fresh out of the oven and eat it by the spoonful! Also would be good with fresh whipped cream (isn’t everything).

No comments:

Post a Comment